Harrow Community Involvement
Harrow United Church plays an active role in peace, justice and outreach initiatives locally and globally. These include:
- Souper/Salad Sunday - The Peace / Justice / Outreach groups hosts lunch and a presentation on the first Sunday of the month. Our October presentation was Rita Chahal from Welcome Place.
- Prayer Shawl Ministry - a faithful group of individuals knit, crochet, and weave prayer shawls which can be gifted to anyone in the community or beyond. Most often they are given during a time of challenge or hardship. Prayer shawls are also given to newly baptised children and infants. If you would like to contribute your skills or if you would like to get a prayer shawl, please contact the church office.
- Amnesty International - approximately 8 times a year, information presented and cards, letters, or petitions are available to sign
- Who Is My Neighbour? - An initiative to help newly arrived, isolated senior immigrants to become more integrated into the community through social activities, language lessons, games, music, yoga, computing, storytelling and more. Project coordinator, Sydney Roberts: 204-891-6418 or email@example.com Funded by New Horizons for Seniors.
- Care for Shut-in members - our shut-ins are blessed by the faithful ministry of our Visitation Committee, who stay in touch on a regular basis. There is also a distribution cards & cookies to shut-in members in December and distribution of geraniums each spring
- Rhyme & Storytime program for children 0 - 5 years of age and their parents/caregivers. Free drop-in Fridays 9:30 - 11:30
- Monthly worship at the Convalescent Home of Winnipeg and at Central Park Lodge (Poseidon Care Centre)
- Connections to West Broadway Community Ministry, Oak Table, Rainbow Ministry
- Connection to United Church Halfway Homes
- Habitat for Humanity - Harrow supports the annual blitz build with coffee break goodies
- Kairos Ecumenical Justice Initiatives
- Right to Housing Coalition